05 Aug 2012 2 Comments
A few days ago I posted my review of Brown Cow Cream Top Greek Yogurt (speaking of which, go over and enter to win the giveaway!). I knew I wanted to make some sort of quick-bread with the plain Greek Yogurt and decided on Zucchini bread. I had never even tasted Zucchini bread before, but I had a feeling I would love it. And I was right! Not only did I really like this bread, but my entire family did, too- we finished off pretty much the entire loaf the day I made it.
Because our oven is broken, I went over to my neighbors and made this at their house. While it was baking I watched the Olympics- I have absolutely loved watching them this past week. My favorite sports are gymnastics, swimming, and sprinting. I also love the equestrian events, but I haven’t seen any being aired! What are your favorite Olympic games to watch?
So anyway, back to this bread. My middle sister was worried because it had zucchini in it, but this doesn’t taste remotely healthy! It’s sweet, not dry, and the outside is nice and crisp. I love eating it heated with butter on it. I think this bread, as with most quick breads, gets better overnight, but I wouldn’t know since we ate it all ;)
I liked this bread enough that I am going to make it again tomorrow! I would definitely recommend it.
1 pound zucchini (you’ll end up with about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of zucchini once it has been shredded and wrung through a towel to rid of excess liquid)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup plain yogurt (I used Brown Cow Plain Greek Yogurt)
1 tablespoon sour cream
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease the loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Chop the very ends off the zucchini and finely shred it, peel and all. Place the shredded zucchini in a clean kitchen towel, wrap the towel, and wring the ends to squeeze out all the excess water. You should have about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of dry zucchini. Set the zucchini aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, and salt. In a smaller bowl, whisk the sugar, yogurt, eggs, sour cream, apple sauce, and butter until combined.
- Gently fold the yogurt mixture and zucchini into the flour mixture, using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to fold the ingredients together until just combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached, 45-55 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes then turn out into wire rack to cool for at least 1 hour. Store well-covered for up to three days.