20 Mar 2012 2 Comments
Apparently today is the first day of Spring! I totally thought the 21st of March was the first day of Spring, but Google says it’s today and Google usually knows what he’s talking about, so happy first day of Spring! We are celebrating with 86 degree weather…I think the world is a tad confused and thinks today is actually the first day of Summer.
I had a lot of fun answering the alphabet survey in my last post, so I thought I would answer some more questions. If you don’t feel like getting to know me more, feel free to skip to the bottom of the post to find out how to make great white rice. I’ll cry, but that’s ok ;)
What was one of the best parties you’ve ever been to? My friends Jessica and Jessica throw the best birthday parties! Last year they had a Harry Potter themed party and this year they had a murder mystery. Their parties are always really fun and entertaining :)
What was the last movie, TV show or book that made you cry or tear up? Oh goodness. I cry at everything. I cried at this week’s episode of Grey’s Anatomy (I always cry at Grey’s Anatomy). Oh and I cried a ton after I read Portia de Rossi’s book Unbearable Lightness. I would absolutely recommend this book. It’s a really honest and brave memoir about her struggle with eating disorders.
When was the last time you had an amazing meal? Today I went to Maniac’s. I had never been there before but they had amazing hand-battered chicken tenders. Mmm!
What is something you learned in the last week? Today I learned that March 20th is the first day of Spring!
I’d love to hear some of your responses to these questions :)
This is a basic recipe for how to prepare white rice. I love rice! It’s great with some salt, butter, and peas, as a side dish with some chicken, and I also love it with my mom’s beef stew. Rice is really versatile and there’s a seemingly endless way to prepare it, but you need to know how to make basic rice before you tackle anything crazy ;) I didn’t know how to make rice until recently (yeah…I’m a little behind) but it was super easy to learn.
How to Cook White Rice:
- Measure your rice and water. I use a 1:2 ratio, meaning 1 cup of rice for every 2 cups of water (or chicken/vegetable broth). I’ve also seen people use 1 cup of water to 1.5 cups liquid, but the 1:2 ratio worked great for me.
- Should I rinse my rice? I don’t and I haven’t had any issues with my rice being too starchy and sticky. Rinsing your rice can get rid of some of the nutrients as well, so I wouldn’t unless you’ve had issues with the texture of your rice in the past.
- Combine your rice and water in a pot, cover it, and bring it to a boil. Once it is at a good, rolling boil, reduce the heat so it’s just a slow simmer and set the timer for 20 minutes. Don’t open the lid during that time because it will let the steam out.
- After 20 minutes, turn the heat off and let it sit for 5 minutes (still don’t touch the cover).
- Fluff with a fork and enjoy!
Note: Rice will double as it cooks.
I got these tips from Our Best Bites. I’ve made rice several times recently and it’s always turned out perfect!