10 Oct 2011 No Comments
This is my third pumpkin-related post! I constantly check out different food blogs (which is where I get all these wonderful recipes!) and everyone has been posting tons of pumpkin recipes. In the past, I haven’t made much with pumpkin besides pumpkin muffins but I’m enjoying using it in lots of recipes! I needed something to make for our church picnic and I decided on these pumpkin chocolate chip bars from Two Peas & Their Pod. They were really easy to make and turned out very not-dry and delicious!
I had a lot of fun at the church picnic. I was helping with some of the photography. They had set up a “photo booth” with props and stuff and I was covering one of the picture-taking shifts. After I was done, my family took a whole big goofy picture together. Then we got in line and got some food! I wasn’t that hungry because we had gone out to lunch at Logan’s. I really like Logan’s! Their rolls are insanely delicious. I usually get their sliders but today I got the steak salad thingy. It was so good! Actually I didn’t really like the steak, it was really tough, but there was lettuce, tomato, bacon, cheese, and hard boiled egg in there too. Yummy :) So anyways, I ended up sampling a few various casseroles and things like that, all of which tasted very good. And then I hit up the dessert table! There was a cheese-cake type thing with some berries on top which was yummy. Also there was a strange thing topped with whipped cream that I tried. It took my mom and me the longest time to figure out what it was but she finally did! It was ground up chips ahoy mixed with something to make it creamy. It had lots of mini chocolate chips mixed into it. It was really tasty! But I think my favorite thing was this peanut butter bar. It was a layer of brownie topped with a layer of peanut butter cookie with peanut butter chips with crushed recees on it! Oh goodness it was good. I didn’t talk to anyone who tried these pumpkin bars but I hope people liked them! My family did at least :)
At first I was a little thrown by the pumpkin taste…I haven’t actually had many things made with pumpkin that truly taste like pumpkin. But after several bites I decided I really liked it! When I got home from school today, I found that there’s only one of these left! I’d call that a success :)
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars
Recipe from Two Peas & Their Pod
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon pumpkin-pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and put a large piece of parchment paper in the pan, so that its sticking up on the sides of the pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt.
- Cream together butter and sugar on medium-high speed until smooth. Then add the egg and vanilla and beat until well combined. Add the pumpkin puree and mix until blended. The mixture will look somewhat “curdled.”
- On low speed, gradually mix in the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake bars for 35-40 minutes or until edges begin to pull away from sides of pan and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached.
- Cool bars completely in pan (haha yeah…didn’t do this). Cut into squares and serve.
Makes 24 bars