08 Oct 2011 11 Comments
I joined film club at school! I’m really excited about it because I love watching movies and want to be able to be exposed to a lot of different movies. We had our first meeting the other day and watched Memento. I’ve watched that movie three times now and I still get confused! It’s shot in flashbacks and the whole story is told backwards. They use a mixture of black and white and color shots and it’s just really intriguing.
I wanted to make cookies to bring to film club and decided on these delicious peanut butter pretzel chocolate chunk cookies! I may have mentioned before that I’m not really a fan of peanut butter cookies- most of them taste kinda dry to me and I don’t like how most of them are flat. But I found a recipe for puffy peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips on How Sweet it Is and knew I had to try them! I started gathering the ingredients and realized that I didn’t have any chocolate chips but I had a bunch of Dove chocolate I knew I wasn’t going to eat (I love Dove chocolate but I’d rather eat baked goods than plain chocolate), so I cut them up and used them in these cookies! Then I decided to mix in pretzels to add a salty crunch!
Honestly I think these are some of the best cookies I have ever made which is saying something! They finished baking around 11pm and I was just standing in the kitchen munching on the warm, delicious cookies. The cookie itself was so soft and delicious and the Dove chocolate chunks made it just spectacular. I loved the salt from the pretzels and the crunch it added. I will absolutely make these again! I got great reviews from everyone who had them (I made a ton so I gave a lot away at school). I would totally recommend that you make these. And SOON!
Oh and I took these pictures with a 50mm Canon macro lens I borrowed from my photography class. Oh my goodness! I LOVE this lens! I would absolutely buy it if I had you know…like $300 to spare. But I’m definitely going to be borrowing this a lot this year!
Peanut Butter Pretzel Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Recipe from How Sweet It Is
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
8 tablespoons of salted butter, melted and cooled
6 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter, melted and cooled
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chopped Dove chocolate pieces (or chocolate chunks if you don’t have Dove)
1 cup pretzel pieces (use the square waffle pretzels)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Add butter and peanut butter to a microwave safe bowl, and heat in 30 second intervals until melted. Let cool completely.
- Unwrap the pieces of Dove chocolate and cut each square into 4 pieces. Break each pretzel into 3-4 pieces each and set both of these aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour and baking soda. In a large bowl, cream together the cooled butter and peanut butter along with the sugars until well combined. Mix in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined. Gradually add in the flour mixture and mix until dough forms. The dough is really dry so you may need to use your hands to get it completely formed. Stir in the chocolate chunks and pretzel pieces.
- Use a 1 tbs. ice cream scoop to form the dough into balls. Place them on a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart and bake for 10-11 minutes (keep them soft!)
- Let them cool completely and enjoy! Or stuff hot, gooey cookies into your mouth and imagine you’re in heaven :)
Note: The original recipe says it makes 18 cookies. But I got about 24. It just depends on the size you make them.