06 Feb 2012 7 Comments
Unfortunately, this pie is not an award-winning dessert, but it totally should be.
My church always has a big chili cook-off on Superbowl Sunday and it is awesome. Tons of people bring chili and there are tasty sides and desserts. I like trying all the different types of chili, but my mom’s is always my favorite (she won several years ago and I think that she should win every year!)
A couple of years ago, our youth group started doing a dessert competition at the cook-off. My sister and I both entered this year and we were doing all sorts of smack-talking. I made this Brownie Nutella Mousse Pie and, I have to say, it was really incredible. It should have won, but it didn’t- clearly the judges were crazy ;) My sister made Heath Bar Cupcakes and she won first place! Even though I wanted to win, I was really proud of her because her cupcakes tasted and looked really good. Stay tuned for that recipe coming soon :)
But back to this should-have-won-first-place-pie. It is incredible. It has a chocolate graham cracker crust, a layer of fudgy, gooey, chocolaty brownie, and is topped with a layer of creamy, heavenly nutella mousse. Honestly the nutella mousse could stand on its own. I really enjoyed this and everyone who tried it did, too. I made two pies and they were both gone really fast. I will absolutely make this again and totally think you should, too!
Alright so…I have to ask. Were you happy with the Superbowl outcome? What did you think of the half-time show?
I used to live in Massachusetts so I was rooting for the Patriots. But I thought the game was really good and intense! I don’t ever watch football but I enjoy the Superbowl. As for the half-time show, I thought it was really good. I don’t know why so many people didn’t like it!
Brownie Nutella Mousse Pie
9 chocolate graham crackers
5 tablespoons melted butter
1 box brownie mix and whatever oil, water, and eggs the package calls for
5 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup Nutella, plus more for drizzling
1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare chocolate crust: Crush the graham crackers (either in a food processor or in a ziplock bag with a mallet). Put the graham crackers in a 9-in pie pan and pour the melted butter over it. Use your hands to mix the butter and crumbs together. Press the mixture on the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the brownie mix. Pour it into the now-baked crust and bake for 35-45 minutes. The brownie will be set (not giggly) but it will still be a little gooey. Set the brownie aside (or in the fridge) until it cools completely.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, mix Nutella and cream cheese until well combined.
- Spoon in 1/3 of the whipped cream and gently fold it into the Nutella. Slowly fold in all the whipped cream (it takes a little while but it is important that you don’t just stir the mixture).
- Chill the mousse until the brownie layer is completely cooled.
- When the pie is cooled, spread the mousse evenly over the pie.
- To make your pie taste extra yummy and look extra fancy drizzle some Nutella over the pie. To do that, microwave a few spoonfuls of Nutella for 10-20 seconds, put it in a ziplock back, cut a small opening in the tip of the bag, and go to town!
Makes one 9-in pie, 8ish pieces (depending on how big you cut them).
Recipe adapted from Sing For Your Supper :)